Thursday, January 24, 2013

Simply detatching.....Isn't so easy

Today was a great day! I got a great deal done on my "small" projects. I was able to tackle our china cabinet, our dresser, Patrick's closet (with his help), and my closet! And we even slept in till 10!!
Patrick got the day off because it was too cold for him to be working outside so we slept in with Autumn till about 10 and around 11 I started going around my house collecting things that we didn't need and started going thought the china cabinet.
After all the work I did today I think the common theme is inordinate attachments. I decided to throw a lot of things away that a lot of people just wouldn't. And I also held on to things that other people would not have trouble throwing away.
My two examples are my wedding bouquet and underwear. I bet you can't guess which one I had a harder time letting go of!?
I easily threw away the dry mess that once was my wedding bouquet. Underwear though ,I was inordinately attached to because I put a lot of money into them and my best friend and I used to decorate underwear so I had a harder time just chucking every other pair.
My closet was easier than I imagined it would be. I was able to part with a lot more than I thought I would be able to.
I still hope to get rid of even more but this is a really good start and Im really happy with it. I think in attempting my ultimate goal of simplifying my life, I'm about half way there. I will probably go through my house one more time before our garage sale this spring and after the sale everything unsold is going into our car and taken to Salvation Army. Once it leaves, I won't let anything back in. 

here are some pictures of the projects that I tackled today! 

                                                  BEFORE
           
                        
    AFTER

This is the pile of garage sale clothes that came out of my closet.

I forgot to take a before picture, but i promise you it was a mess

All the stuff that I was able to get rid of in one day of purging.

Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to do my kitchen which will probably take all day. I'll be sure to post about that and ill make sure I have before and after pictures!

1 comment:

  1. I so should have done this when I had one kiddo...nice job, Cara. Also this

    "and my best friend and I used to decorate underwear so I had a harder time just chucking every other pair."

    is strange :)

    ReplyDelete